Day 7, the surgical check-up

The last four days have passed in a blur of co-codamol fogginess and spontaneous naps but now it seems, the fog is clearing and today is the first day that I have not needed to sleep! Early this morning, Peter and I set off to catch a train to Manchester. Unfortunately, it was delayed which meant that once we arrived at the other end, it was a mad dash in a taxi to make our x-ray slot!

Within minutes of arriving, we were seen and my x-ray was done and dusted. After that, we made our way to the ENT department to see Mr Freeman, the frankly amazing surgeon. I was really nervous, I had it in my head that I hadn't been implanted (ridiculous), that it had been only partially inserted (a possibility I was warned about) or that there had been problems (likely, since I have malformed cochleas and had been warned of sub-optimal outcomes). No such issues! Mr Freeman revealed that all had gone perfectly and that, amazingly, they had been able to insert the longer electrode! Hooray! every point on the electrode is neatly curled up within my cochlea, I'm really pleased! 

After sharing the good news, he helped Peter to remove the last of the dressing. I have a neat (but swollen) scar and the merest suggestion of a buzzcut around the edges of my ear. Check out my x-ray!Off to bed now, got a splitting head-ache.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Damn, the ENT man has a lisp... what's he saying?

I know you can be overwhelmed, and you can be underwhelmed, but can you ever just be whelmed?

My daughter, deafness and me