I should be an audiologist

Today I had my CT scan, went without a hitch apart from my very loud and sudden 'Jesus Christ!' when someone unexpectedly tapped me on the shoulders from behind... this was after I had been told to lie still until tapped on the hand. Jesus Christ indeed, scared me senseless!

Visited the ENT department to query the cancellation of the follow-up appointment on the 25th. Explained to the rather hapless lady behind the desk that since I was going to Manchester to be assessed on the 30th that an appointment re-scheduled for the 23rd May was completely pointless. "Why?" Well, because they'll have received the CT scan by the time I see them... so any 'follow-up' is pointless? Cue this look of absolute "who do you think you're talking to" and me politely (but firmly) insisting on an appointment before the 30th and lo and behold, an appointment was made for Monday 23rd. Not surprised they cocked up my referral if that's the receptionist's attitude.

Things went downhill when I popped into the Audiology department. Sat down in front of an Audiology staff member who proceeded to start fiddling with the settings (I needed the volume pushed up and my ipod functionality restored). Two minutes in and I'm watching her randomly clicking icons on the programme. Then she stopped.
"Any difference?"
"Um, well, you haven't adjusted the volume?"
"Oh."
"It's that icon on the top right..."
Followed by a bit more clicking...
"Is that any better?"
"Um, I guess so.. "
"OK then, all done!"
"What about my FM settings?"
"Oh, well I need the serial code for the product. Do you have it?"
"You don't need a serial number, you just need to select and drag the FM icon onto my program list..."
"I'm pretty sure I need the serial number."
"Look, I phoned Phonak the last time I had problems with the FM setting and they sent through materials that explained the process."
"Oh. Ok. Hang on then, let's have a look."
So at this point in time I'm inwardly seething and trying not to cry with absolute frustration at the fact that an apparently qualified Audiology staff member appears to have no idea what she is doing. So she's clicking around still and then I see the programme list...
"That's the one, you just select and drag them over."
"Ah, I see. All done!"

So yes I have my ipod functionality back, the volume isn't much better because apparently if they boost it any further I'll destroy my residual hearing... like I have loads of useful hearing?... Whatever.

I'm just really annoyed, surely when you rely on professionals to manage your hearing you should expect to feel confident in their abilities?! I miss my old audiologist, Mr Thomas, hmph!!!

The next thing to look forward to is the CI information day in Nottingham which is on the 28th, two days before the initial assessment which is handy.

Toodlepip. I'm off to blast my ear drums out with Calvin Harris's finest.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Damn, the ENT man has a lisp... what's he saying?

My daughter, deafness and me

I know you can be overwhelmed, and you can be underwhelmed, but can you ever just be whelmed?